Wednesday 1 October 2014

Interview with Jennifer Joyce

Today I am so please to share my interview with Jennifer Joyce


Hi Jennifer

Thank you for coming on Comet Babe's Books today.

Can you tell us more about Everything Changes but You?
Everything Changes But You is a romantic comedy about a birthday wish that comes true. Ally wishes she had a more exciting life but she soon regrets those fateful words when her life is turned upside down!

Can you tell us more about Ally the main character?
Ally is unhappy with the way her life is plodding along. She is just about to turn thirty and is terrified that life is passing her by. Her husband wants to start a family but Ally isn’t ready. She sees the life her younger colleague Kelly has and hears the colourful tales of nights out with her friends and Ally can’t help feeling that she is missing out. She doesn’t really appreciate the life she has until it’s taken from her.

Can you tell us about your writing process?
I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember but I’m only just beginning to find a process that works for me. This process involves a lot of planning, which usually takes around a month and includes planning out each individual chapter, broken down into scenes. I then write the first draft and leave it for a few weeks before diving into the second and then the third draft. If I’m happy with the manuscript, it’s then sent off to be edited.

How old were you when you started writing?
I have no idea! It must have been at a very young age because I can’t remember not writing. I’ve always scribbled down silly little stories.

Do you have a favourite place you like to write and why?
I usually write on my laptop on the sofa. It isn’t ideal but as I live in a small house, I don’t have much choice at the moment! I dream of one day having an actual desk. With drawers. I covet drawers to store all my stationery!

What inspired you to take up writing?
I’ve always scribbled down bits of stories but when I was around nine or ten, a teacher took us to our local library where a children’s author was giving a talk. It had never occurred to me that I could write as a job when I was older but I remember sitting there and knowing that being an author was what I wanted to do.

Are any of your characters based on people you know?
Not really. I’m sure I *ahem* borrow traits from people from time to time, but they’re usually highly exaggerated for characters. In my first book, A Beginner’s Guide To Salad, I share Ruth’s lack of motivation and love of junk food, but Ruth is far more ballsy than I’ll ever be!

How do you feel about book to film adaptations?  If one of your books was made into a film who would you pick for leading lady/man?
I’m always a bit apprehensive when a book I’ve loved is turned into a film because I want it to be perfect and capture the magic I felt while reading it. But books and films are very different so it can often lead to disappointment. It’s always great when a film does a book justice though!

If Everything Changes But You was made into a film, I can see Lucy Griffiths as Ally, Tom Ellis as Gavin and Marc Baylis as Jason. They aren’t huge Hollywood stars but I’d be more than happy with a small screen adaptation!

You blog as well as write books, do you think publishers dismiss bloggers? (ie not value what they do for authors).
I hope not! Bloggers work so hard reading, reviewing and writing blog posts, not to mention sharing their love of books and authors on Twitter and Facebook etc. I know that if I love a certain book, I’ll make it known to others!

On the other hand, I appreciate the books I receive in the post and have discovered some fantastic books and authors that I may not have otherwise.

Can you share a sneak peak of what you are working on at the mo?
At the moment I’m writing my third book, which is a follow up to A Beginner’s Guide To Salad – and this time there are wedding bells ringing! I’m about three-quarters of the way through the first draft and am having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it – sometimes I adore it and sometimes I’m struggling to acknowledge its existence on my hard drive. It will get there eventually. I hope.

Non book questions

Favourite holiday place?
So far it’s been New York at Christmas. It was amazing and the whole family wants to go back some day.

Favourite food?
Pasta. Lots and lots of pasta.

What kind of music do you listen to?
Different types. I like anything from classic 80s to cheesy 90s pop to T-Rex.

Favourite film?
This is a toss-up between You’ve Got Mail and 13 Going on 30. I can’t choose!

Favourite Chocolate?
Ooh, toughie. I think I’m going to have to go with a Double Decker.

Favourite drink?
You can’t beat a cup of tea.

Thank you for being interviewed by Comet Babes Books!

Thank you so much for having me on your blog!

Jennifer x

Everything Changes but you is on Tour, please check out these other reviews.






No comments:

Post a Comment