Friday 22 August 2014

Books and Holidays Guest Post by Jody

Today I would like to introduce Jody with her Books and Holiday Guest Post.

Thanks so much to the lovely Jo for having me on her blog for her holiday books feature!

Today, I’d like to share with you my top 10 chick lit holiday reads. Everyone has a different definition of what exactly a holiday read is; it can be a book set in an exotic location, a book that tells the story of a specific holiday, a book that is set in the summer... For this top 10, I decided to go for chick lit novels that remind me of summer holidays in any possible way. It can just be the title, the setting, or the storyline, but there’s a specific element in the book that makes me long for those lovely summer days when you don’t have to think about anything stressful but can just enjoy yourself, wherever you are. So, if you are still looking for some holiday chick lit reads to throw into your suitcase this summer, definitely give these 10 a try!

‘The Longest Holiday’ by Paige Toon


I love Paige Toon’s novels; they’re perfect holiday reads, but if I had to pick one that just screams ‘summer’, it has to be ‘The Longest Holiday’! The book tells the story of Laura who has just discovered her husband has been keeping a terrible secret from her. Together with her best friend Marty she goes on holiday to Key West to get away from it all. This book has it all: an exotic location, a girl’s holiday, and a sexy scuba diver!


‘Vivien’s Heavenly Ice Cream Shop’ by Abby Clements


What’s the perfect summer holiday without ice cream?! I’m a big fan of ice cream, and I love strolling down the beach with some ice cream to enjoy a lovely day in the sunshine. This book focuses on Imogen and Anna who unexpectedly inherit their grandmother Vivien’s ice cream parlour in Brighton. A yummy book that’s perfect for summer!

‘Sunlounger’ – Various Authors


This collection of short stories is the ultimate summer holiday read. It includes numerous stories set in the most exotic locations; from Hawaii to Australia to Dubai to Italy! Many authors have contributed to this collection, including Miranda Dickinson, Victoria Fox, Belinda Jones, Lucy Robinson and Cally Taylor. A second Sunlounger collection will be released this summer, so enough short stories to get stuck into!
Robinson and Cally Taylor.

A Cottage by the Sea’ by Carole Matthews


Carole Matthews’ stories are wonderful, and this book will immediately make you long for a trip to a faraway cottage near the sea. I read this book last year and it’s still one of my favourite Carole Matthews books, also because it reminds me of my own holidays spent in the south of Wales. A lovely holiday read!

‘From Notting Hill to New York... Actually’ by Ali McNamara


Many of you will hopefully remember Scarlett O’Brien from Ali McNamara’s best-selling novel ‘From Notting Hill with Love... Actually.’ In the second part of the series, Scarlett goes to New York with her best friend Oscar for the holiday of a lifetime. Scarlett and Oscar go on an adventure in the Big Apple, and I thoroughly enjoyed joining them on their fabulous trip!


‘One Night in Italy’ by Lucy Diamond


This new Lucy Diamond novel will be released on the 5thof June and I can’t wait to read it. It’s part of my personal holiday reads list for this year and I have a feeling it will definitely make me long for summer days spent in romantic Italy!

‘The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris’ by Jenny Colgan

Anna Trent used to work in a chocolate factory in England, but she was unexpectedly given the chance to work in Paris with her former sweetheart, Thierry, a master chocolatier. This book is set in another wonderful location, namely the city of love and light, Paris. Besides that, it includes a lot of yummy chocolate treats, so the perfect recipe for an enjoyable and light holiday read!
‘About a Girl’ by Lindsey Kelk


Lindsey Kelk’s books guarantee thoroughly enjoyable and laugh-out-loud funny reads, and ‘About a Girl’ certainly does not disappoint. Tess Brookes has lost her job and the love of her life, so without anything else to lose she decides to accept her roommate Vanessa’s photography assignment to Hawaii. Set in one of the most perfect holiday locations, this book definitely deserves to be part of this top 10!

‘A Message to Your Heart’ by Niamh Greene


Another novel that made me long to go on a trip to America, but in this case to San Francisco! Niamh Greene’s descriptions of the city are amazing and definitely gave me the holiday feeling. 

'Perfect Strangers’ by Tasmina Perry



If you are looking for a holiday read with a touch of action and mystery, definitely pick up a Tasmina Perry novel. ‘Perfect Strangers’ is a glamorous and exciting read that starts in glamorous Knightsbridge in London and takes you to New York and the Cote D’Azur as well. A great read for a lazy day at the beach!


These are 10 chick lit reads that are perfect to take with you on your summer holiday, and will guarantee a lovely reading day spent at the beach or whatever exotic location you might find yourself at. Happy reading! wait to read it. It’s part of my personal holiday reads list for this year and I have a feeling it will definitely make me long for summer days spent in romantic Italy!


Thank you Jody for sharing your top 10 Summer Reads with us.

Jo xx

Twitter @happyspoonful
Webpage http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspot.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I have wanted to read 3 of then for a few months now but wasn't sure as I couldn't find many reviews. But this post has persuaded me to save up my money to go and bulk buy them 3 and 2 i had never heard of before!

    Tina xoxo
    ubercrazygirlsworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete